Whilst custom whitening trays are without a doubt the best method to whiten your teeth, they can be a little more difficult to get your hands on compared to the stock standard trays. It’s the sort of thing that once you have them, you want to keep them in their best condition so that they will last you for as long as they will fit your teeth.
We make our custom whitening trays with quality plastic so they are built to last, but there is definitely a need for you to keep them clean and in their best condition. Not to mention, if you don’t take proper care of your trays they can become quite unhygienic. That being said, there are a few precautions you should take when you set out to clean your trays. Here are a few do’s and don’t’s for keeping your trays in an optimal condition.
- Wash in cold or warm water
- Rinse thoroughly after each whitening session
- Gently use a toothbrush if a deeper clean is required
- Soak in non-alcoholic mouthwash to freshen up the scent and taste of the trays
- Use a denture cleaning tablet or sachet if your trays are starting to get particularly grubby.
- Keep your trays in their case
- Wash in hot/boiling water. This can melt or deform the shape of your whitening trays.
- Use abrasive materials such as toothpaste or alcoholic mouthwashes. Just like using hot water, these substances can affect the integrity of the guard. Using abrasive materials will ruin the guard.
- Keep trays in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight can cause the trays to get hot and deform or discolour.
Keeping your whitening trays clean will prolong their life. It will also keep them nice and hygienic, remember these things are going in your mouth and no one wants to be putting a germy smelly bit of plastic in their mouth, right?!